Pages

2010/09/30

Paper museum (at long last!)

For about two months I have been going on about going to the paper museum, which is relatively close to our flat and, I must admit, it let me down a little... The Paper museum is in Asukayama park, right next to the Kita City Asukayama museum

I'd read it had two floors, and right enough, it did! It had a couple of models of paper presses, some rather long explanations in Japanese (kanji, kanji), and less about Japanese paper than I expected. Something I found rather annoying is when you had the title in Japanese and in English, but the text was all in Japanese! Personally I'd rather not even have the title in English... We did notice as we were leaving that you could buy a guide in English for 200 yen. Rather expensive for a couple of sheets of paper, but anyway, surely it would be in the museum's benefit to point it out when tearing the ticket out of the Grutt pass book! 

Anyway, I found the second floor much more enjoyable, more interactive, and then the Japanese paper section - including how washi's made, paper dolls making paper (weird!), a really cool paper castle and paper clothes, and even a stuffed paper bear which looked like it was made from some shiny material!

More information on their webpage: http://www.papermuseum.jp/en/  

PS: You can sit on stools made of corrugated cardboard! And people (not kids; in fact, there were no kids to be seen) actually use them! I sat on them for about 5 minutes, but they kind of felt like they were going to give way, which surprisingly they did not.

No comments:

Post a Comment